Holy moly Cinco de Mayo!
This time last year I didn’t get any tacos. I didn’t have any tacos because I was in labor with my baby girl. We had placed bets to see when my daughter would be born and lots of bets were placed on Cinco de Mayo. And May 4th. (You know, May the Fourth Be with You? For all the Star Wars fans.)
Hey there! This post may contain affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something I earn a commission. Note, I would never recommend something that I personally don’t use and love – that’s just silly. Also note, I would never accept payment to entice you to buy something from me, that’s a bribe. Enjoy!
But my girl did not want either of those dates. My little Taurus baby wanted her own date for celebrating, so we went into labor on Cinco de Mayo and she was born on May 6th. What a day!Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Reversible Grill/Griddle, 16.75 Inch x 9.5 Inch, Black
So now this year she gets to celebrate with us for the first time! She loves tacos, and yesterday she grabbed a lime slice from the counter while I was whipping up a batch of this Grilled Mango & Avocado Salsa and started chomping away! I had to take it away or she would have eaten the whole thing, peel and all.
Grilled Mango & Avocado SalsaJ.A. Henckels International Classic Chef Knife, 8 Inch, Kitchen Knife, Black
Last week, I played with another episode of Nap-time Snacks. (Did you miss it? Check it out here.) We made Grilled Mango and Avocado slices for the kids, and Grilled Mango & Avocado Salsa for us. This salsa is tomato-less. Some people are actually pretty allergic to tomatoes, so this is a great option for them. It’s still a beautiful salsa, but much less acidic! First we grill some fresh mango slices, then dice them up along with avocado, peppers, red onion and toss it together with freshly minced cilantro and mint. We then sprinkle lime juice, salt and a bit of olive oil throughout and that’s it! Now you have a quick, refreshing salsa that goes a bit outside the box for Cinco de Mayo.
More Cinco de Mayo Recipes
Looking for more fun recipes for Cinco de Mayo? Try this Mexican Hot Chocolate, sweet, spicy and full of chocolatey goodness. You can also serve it cold with a bit of rum for a decadent cocktail! Don’t worry the calories don’t count today. I personally will be throwing together a batch of Mexican Horchata for tonight. It’s a delicious iced drink made up of rice milk, almond, sugar and cinnamon. It’s delightfully refreshing, I love it!Zulay Premium Quality Metal Lemon Squeezer, Citrus Juicer, Manual Press for Extracting the Most Juice Possible – Lime Green
- Need some help to cut a mango for the first time? Watch this video on IGTV to get a quick tutorial on how to cut a mango into neat slices that are easy to through onto the grill.
- Don’t want to go outside to the grill? No problem, if you have a cast iron grill pan, use that! Just be sure to get it nice and hot before throwing the mango on top for a delicious caramelization of the sugars.
- Also, make sure you brush the mango with oil first or it will stick and prevent you from getting beautiful char marks.
- As soon as you slice the avocado, start to toss it in lime juice or it will oxidize and turn brown. It doesn’t do much to the flavor but a grey brown avocado is very unappetizing!
- Avocados hard as a rock? Toss them in a brown paper bag overnight to trap the ethylene gas and speed up the ripening process.