Cute little cupcakes for your cute little Valentine! Moist chocolate cake piped with a simple buttercream rose looks quite impressive and is perfectly delicious.
Mini Chocolate Cupcakes
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup brewed coffee, hot or cold
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 pound unsalted butter, room temperature
- 12 ounces confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Food coloring, options, pink, purple, orange and red
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Combine the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in a large bowl. Whisk together until combined.
- Combine the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, whisking until thick but smooth.
- Bring the coffee and oil to a boil, then while whisking, pour the hot liquid into the batter. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Prepare mini cupcake pans with mini liners and scoop the batter into the tray, filling each about 2/3rds of the way.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, rotating the pan halfway for even baking. You’ll know they’ve finished baking when the tops spring back when pressed lightly with your finger.
- While the cupcakes cool, beat the butter in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy. It will be white and light.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and continue to beat at medium high speed until light, white and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl once.
- Add milk and vanilla and beat on low until just combined.
- Separate the buttercream into two bowls and make one purple and one pink. (Or pink and orange, pink and red – you decide!) Start with just a few drops of color – a little goes a long way!
- Using a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, fill one side of the bag with pink and one side with purple.
- Pipe the rose onto the cupcake with the piping bag using a clockwise motion. Repeat until all the cupcakes are iced.
Make sure the cupcakes are completely cool before icing or the buttercream will melt! Store in the refrigerator covered up to 3 days. Let the cupcake come to room temperature before serving.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: dessert, cupcake, valentine's day, chocolate, buttercream, cake, valentine's day recipe, chocolate recipe, chocolate cake, valentine's day dessert