A delicately sweet, crunchy cookie that’s perfect for afternoon tea, a quick snack or a light bite after dinner. Browning the butter before creaming it with the sugar adds a beautiful nutty flavor to the dough while the cardamom and ginger in the recipe play off of the apricot jam.
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (12 ounces)
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon fresh ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg + 2 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
- 1 cup apricot or raspberry jam
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until butter is lightly browned and smells nutty, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer butter to the bowl of a stand mixer and let cool completely until solidified. You can pop it in the fridge to speed things along if needed.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients – the flour, salt, baking powder, cardamom, and ginger in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Add the brown sugar and vanilla paste to the butter, and beat on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl, about 5 minutes.
- Add egg and yolks one at a time until fully incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl between additions.
- Reduce speed to low, and add flour mixture in 3 additions, beating well after each addition.
- Turn dough out onto a work surface, and knead to make sure all ingredients are incorporated and the dough is smooth with no crumbly bits.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide the dough in half and roll each half between 2 sheets of parchment paper to about 1/8-inch thickness. Freeze until firm, about 10 minutes.
- Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut out the cookies from the entire first sheet and transfer to parchment paper–lined baking sheets.
- On the second half of the dough, cut out the entire sheet with the 2-inch cookie cutter, then using a 1-inch cutter, cut the centers out of the cookies.
- Gather all the scraps, reroll, and refreeze then cut out more cookies. Make sure to have the same amount of bottom cookies as you do top cookies.
- Bake in preheated oven until golden brown around edges, about 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheets about 30 minutes.
- Flip the whole cookies over, and spread each with about 1 teaspoon jam. Sandwich with cutout cookies. Dust the cookies with confectioner’s sugar and serve.
Make sure to watch the butter carefully while browning to make sure it doesn’t over cook. As soon as it turns golden brown, remove the pot from the heat and pour the butter into your stand mixer bowl to avoid overcooking from the residual heat of the pot.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Creaming
- Cuisine: German
Keywords: cookie, brown butter, winter baking, butter cookie, apricot jam, cookie recipe, winter cookie recipe,